In Today’s News:
- Hon’ble PM to inaugurate New Bhaupur-New Khurja section of Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor.
1. Hon’ble PM to inaugurate New Bhaupur-New Khurja section of Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor
Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri. Narendra Modi will inaugurate the New Bhaupur-New Khurja section of Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor, EDFC. The section will decongest the existing Kanpur-Delhi mainline and will enable Indian Railways to run faster trains.
Mains GS3 – Infrastructure
(Note: Benefits of DFCs are very important as this is a new concept in recent times.)
The mission of Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Limited(DFCCIL):
DFCCIL’s mission is:
- To build a corridor with appropriate technology that enables Indian railways to regain its market share of freight transport by creating additional capacity and guaranteeing efficient, reliable, safe, and cheaper options for mobility to its customers.
- To set up Multimodal logistic parks along the DFC to provide complete transport solutions to customers.
- To support the government’s initiatives toward ecological sustainability by encouraging users to adopt railways as the most environment-friendly mode for their transport requirements.
Benefits of Dedicated Freight Corridors:
- DFCCIL is constructing freight corridors for the movement of freight trains only.
- However, Multimodal Logistics Parks/Freight terminals and theme park alongside DFC will also be developed.
- Such commercial hubs will definitely generate a lot of employment opportunities for the local public.
- Also by building freight corridors, existing lines of Indian Railways will be able to reduce congestion and run more number of passengers trains efficiently.
- Following are the special benefits:
- Delhi- Mumbai Industrial Corridor (DMIC) constructed along the WDFC for the building of industrial hubs along the corridors and Amritsar-Kolkata industrial corridor planned along EDFC will revolutionize the industrial base of Indian economy.
- It will provide lots of opportunities to people for the growth of per capita income.
- Industries have started coming up along the freight corridor due to better transit time.
- Reduction of accidents.
- Environment friendly & reduction in pollution.
Click here to know more about DFCCIL.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.