In Today’s News:
- National Marine Turtle Action Plan released.
1. National Marine Turtle Action Plan released
The Ministry of Environment Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) released ‘Marine Mega Fauna Stranding Guidelines’ and ‘National Marine Turtle Action Plan’.
Prelims GS – Environment
Marine Turtles in India:
Five species of sea turtles are known to inhabit Indian coastal waters and islands. These are:
- the Olive Ridley (Lepidochelys olivacea),
- Green (Chelonia mydas),
- Hawksbill (Eretmochelys imbricata),
- Loggerhead (Caretta caretta) and
- the Leatherback (Dermochelys coriacea) turtles.
Threats to Marine Turtles in India:
Some of the major threats are as follows:
- unplanned beach development (including ports, lighting, tourism, and plantations),
- by-catch mortality (in trawl nets and gill nets),
- weak enforcement of fisheries and Protected Area regulations and,
- the killing of turtles for meat and the poaching of eggs.
Click here to know more about Marine Turtles on the courtesy official website.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.