In Today’s News:
- Russia agrees to speed up defense deals with India.
- Centre unveils new rules to regulate exotic animal trade.
1. Russia agrees to speed up defense deals with India
Recently Hon’ble Defence Minister of India Shri. Rajnath Singh visited Russia on the occasion of the 75th Victory Day Parade. The long-pending deals for AK-203 assault rifles and Ka-226T light utility helicopters were also discussed in the meeting.
Prelims GS – International Relations
Important Defences of Russia with India: (Note: Prelims Match the following with their respective countries)
- Russia has signed a deal with India and Russia will deliver the S-400 missile system to India by the end of 2021.
- Ka-226T Light Utility Helicopters and AK-203 assault rifles are the other deals that India has signed with Russia.
- Also, BrahMos is a supersonic cruise missile which is a joint venture between India and Russia. It is the world’s fastest anti-ship cruise missile.
- BrahMos is named on the basis of two rivers: Brahmaputra of India and Moskva of Russia.
2. Centre unveils new rules to regulate exotic animal trade
The Ministry of Environment’s Wildlife Divison has introduced new rules to regulate the import and export of exotic wildlife species. Under the new rules, owners and possessors of such animals and birds should register their stock with the Chief Wildlife Warden of their States. It will not include species from the Schedules of Wildlife Protection Act 1972. ‘Exotic live species’ will mean animals named under Appendices I, II, and III of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) of Wild Fauna and Flora. In India, Wildlife Crime Control Bureau is the organization that is responsible for monitoring illegal wildlife trade.
Prelims GS – Environment
Refer prelims content of CITES on 11th June 2020.
Also, refer prelims content of the Wildlife Crime Control Bureau on 23rd June 2020.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.