In Today’s News:
- Annual Status of Education Report(ASER)
1. Annual Status of Education Report(ASER)
ASER survey was conducted to analyze the situation of children during the COVID-19 lockdown in India.
Prelims GS – Governance(Education)
- ASER stands for Annual Status of Education Report.
- This is an annual survey that aims to provide reliable estimates of children’s enrolment and basic learning levels for each district and state in India.
- ASER has been conducted every year since 2005 in all rural districts of India.
- It is the largest citizen-led survey in India.
- It is also the only annual source of information on children’s learning outcomes available in India today.
- It is conducted by Pratham, an NGO.
ASER Wave 1 survey-Key highlights:
- The ASER 2020 Wave 1 survey was designed to be conducted at a time when schools have not yet reopened and governments and schools are reaching out to children through a variety of remote means with diverse educational content.
- It explores the provision of, and access to, remote education mechanisms and materials in rural parts of the country, and the ways in which children, families, and educators are engaging with these from their homes.
- 20% of rural children do not have textbooks at home in India this year.
- WhatsApp was by far the most common medium used for sharing learning materials and activities, followed
by phone calls and visits.
- Overall, approximately one-third of all enrolled children received some kind of learning materials or activities from their teachers during the reference week.
- Close to 38% of high school students received materials as compared to 30.8% of children in Std I-II.
Click here to read the full report of ASER Wave 1, 2020.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.