In Today’s News:
- A new variety of Soybean.
1. A new variety of Soybean
Indian Scientists have developed a high-yielding and pest-resistant variety of soybean.
Prelims GS – Science & Technology
- The newly developed variety of soybeans is called MACS 1407.
- It is suitable for cultivation in the states of Assam, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, and North-Eastern states and its seeds will be made available to farmers for sowing during the 2022 Kharif season.
- MACS 1407 require an average of 43 days for 50 % flowering and take 104 days to mature from the date of sowing.
- It has white-colored flowers, yellow seeds, and black hilum.
- Its seeds have 19.81 % oil content, 41 % protein content, and show good germinability.
- This high yielding, pest resistant, low water and fertilizer requiring soybean variety, suitable for mechanical harvesting has recently been released by the Central Sub-Committee on Crop Standards, Notification and Release of Varieties of Agricultural Crops under the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Government of India making it legally available for seed production and cultivation.
Click here to view the official PIB release.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.