In Today’s News:
- POSHAN ABHIYAAN.
- Fit India Mobile app.
1. POSHAN ABHIYAAN
Every year, the month of September is celebrated as POSHAN Maah across the country.
Prelims GS – Governance
- POSHAN Abhiyaan is the Government of India’s flagship program to improve nutritional outcomes for children, adolescent girls, pregnant women, and lactating mothers.
- POSHAN Abhiyaan is a Jan Andolan or “People’s Movement” by incorporating inclusive participation of public representatives of local bodies, government departments of the States/UTs, social organizations, and the public and private sector at large.
- The Prime Minister’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nutrition or POSHAN Abhiyaan or National Nutrition Mission is the Government of India’s flagship program to improve nutritional outcomes for children, pregnant women, and lactating mothers.
- Poshan Abhiyaan was launched in 2018.
- With the overarching aim to build a people’s movement (Jan Andolan) around malnutrition, POSHAN Abhiyaan intends to significantly reduce malnutrition in the next three years.
For the implementation of POSHAN Abhiyaan the four-point strategy/pillars of the mission are:
- Inter-sectoral convergence for better service delivery
- Use of technology (ICT) for real-time growth monitoring and tracking of women and children
- Intensified health and nutrition services for the first 1000 days
- Jan Andolan
- It aims to reduce child stunting, underweight, and low birth weight by 2 percentage points per annum and anemia among children (and young females) by 3 percentage points per annum.
- Target is to bring down the stunting of the children in the age group of 0-6 years from 38.4% to 25% by the year 2022.
- NITI Aayog has played a major role in shaping the POSHAN Abhiyaan.
- All districts of States/UTs have been covered in the Abhiyaan.
2. Fit India Mobile app
To celebrate the second anniversary of the Fit India Movement and as part of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav, the Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports, Shri Anurag Singh Thakur launched the Fit India Mobile Application at Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium, New Delhi on National Sports Day on 29th August 2021.
Prelims GS – Governance
Fit India Mobile App:
- The Fit India App is free and available in English & Hindi
- The unique feature of the Fit India App is to empower each individual to check his/her fitness score based on a set of age-specific fitness tests and get specific recommendations on how to improve their fitness level through physical activities including yoga protocols.
- Animated Videos have been provided to make individuals understand the procedure for conducting the fitness tests themselves.
- These features are based on the Age-appropriate fitness protocols launched by Prime Minister.
- The App also provides opportunities for Individuals, Schools, Groups, and Organisations to participate in various Fit India Events, Certification Programs, etc.
Click here to view the Courtesy: PIB release.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.