In Today’s News:
- Digital Ocean launched.
1. Digital Ocean launched
Hon’ble Minister of Earth Sciences Dr.Harsh Vardhan launched ‘Digital Ocean’ -the first of its kind digital platform for Ocean Data Management developed by INCOIS of MoES.
Prelims GS – Internal Security/Governance
- Digital Ocean platform is a first of its kind platform for ocean data management (do.incois.gov.in).
- It includes a set of applications developed to organize and present heterogeneous oceanographic data by adopting rapid advancements in geospatial technology.
- It facilitates an online interactive web-based environment for data integration, 3D and 4D (3D in space with time animation) data visualization, data analysis to assess the evolution of oceanographic features, data fusion, and multi-format download of disparate data from multiple sources viz., in-situ, remote sensing and model data, all of which is rendered on a georeferenced 3D Ocean.
- The User Management component of Digital Ocean allows authentication of users, their roles and privileges of access to different data sets, categorization of data as per the data sharing guidelines, metadata management, mail management, usage statistics, system statistics, monitoring of observing platforms and addition of new data streams, etc.
- Digital Ocean will serve as a one-stop-solution for all the data related needs of a wide range of users.
Mains GS3 – Internal Security
Benefits of Digital Ocean Initiative:
- The ocean is a storehouse of infinite knowledge and ‘Digital Ocean’ helps to share this knowledge about the ocean with a wide range of users including research institutions, operational agencies, strategic users, the academic community, the maritime industry, and policymakers.
- Digital Ocean will play a central role in the sustainable management of our oceans and expanding our ‘Blue Economy’ initiatives.
- The sharing of this data will become critical factors in achieving better outcomes for strengthening our economy. It will contribute to India’s vision of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- Further, the Digital Ocean will be promoted as a platform for capacity building on Ocean Data Management for all Indian Ocean Rim countries.
Click here to view the Press release.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.