In Today’s News:
- Paris Agreement.
- Guru Nanak Jayanthi.
1. Paris Agreement
The U.S. President-elect Mr. Joe Biden said that the U.S. is likely to rejoin Paris Agreement.
Prelims GS – Environment
- At COP 21 in Paris, on 12 December 2015, Parties to the UNFCCC reached a landmark agreement known as the ‘Paris Agreement’ to combat climate change and to accelerate and intensify the actions and investments needed for a sustainable low carbon future.
- The Paris Agreement builds upon the Convention and for the first time brings all nations into a common cause to undertake ambitious efforts to combat climate change and adapt to its effects, with enhanced support to assist developing countries to do so.
- The Paris Agreement’s central aim is to strengthen the global response to the threat of climate change by keeping a global temperature rise this century well below 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels and to pursue efforts to limit the temperature increase even further to 1.5 degrees Celsius.
- Additionally, the agreement aims to strengthen the ability of countries to deal with the impacts of climate change.
- To reach these ambitious goals, appropriate financial flows, a new technology framework, and an enhanced capacity-building framework will be put in place, thus supporting action by developing countries and the most vulnerable countries, in line with their own national objectives.
- The Agreement also provides for enhanced transparency of action and support through a more robust transparency framework.
- The Paris Agreement requires all Parties to put forward their best efforts through Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) and to strengthen these efforts in the years ahead.
- This includes requirements that all Parties report regularly on their emissions and on their implementation efforts.
- There will also be a global stocktake every 5 years to assess the collective progress towards achieving the purpose of the Agreement and to inform further individual actions by Parties.
Click here to know more about Paris Agreement.
2. Guru Nanak Jayanthi
551st birth anniversary of Guru Nanak is celebrated on November 30, 2020. Guru Nanak Jayanthi or Gurpurab is celebrated across India and the world today.
Prelims GS – Art and Culture
- Guru Nanak is the first Sikh Guru of ten Sikh Gurus.
- Guru Nanak was born at Talwandi (Nankana Sahib) in Pakistan in 1469 AD.
- He is the founder of Sikhism.
- Guru Nanak Dev gave the basic mantra of ‘Ek Onkar’ to his followers and insisted on treating all human beings equally, without discriminating on the basis of caste, creed, and gender.
- He advocated a form of Nirguna Bhakti.
- For Baba Guru Nanak, the Absolute or “rab” had no gender or form.
- He proposed a simple way to connect to the Divine by remembering and repeating the Divine Name, expressing his ideas through hymns called “Shabad” in Punjabi.
- He appointed Guru Angad as his successor.
- Later he died in Kartarpur, a place located on the bank of River Ravi.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.