In Today’s News:
- A massive increase in foreign flows into the Indian market.
- NGT forms a panel to study the case on the death of an elephant in Kerala.
- How archaeologists continued digging from home during the lockdown.
1. A massive increase in foreign flows into the Indian Market
In the last 1 month, FPI inflows increased into the Indian market. Sectors that are preferred in investment are Automobiles, Pharmaceuticals, and Private banks.
Prelims GS – Economic Development
- Foreign Portfolio Investment
- It consists of securities and other financial assets held by financial investors in another country
- It does not provide direct ownership of these assets
- FPI holders cannot claim a stake in the company’s assets.
2. NGT forms a panel to study case on the death of an elephant in Kerala
The National Green Tribunal took suo-motu(on its own) cognizance of the case which involved the death of a pregnant elephant in Kerala. The NGT has formed a panel to study the causes of death and to provide some recommendations in the future to prevent such man-animal conflicts.
Prelims GS – Environment
Refer prelims content of NGT in 4th June Gas Leak Case
3. How archaeologists continued digging from home during the lockdown
Amidst the coronavirus pandemic, everything was brought to a standstill. But a UK based company continued its research in the archaeological field. They used airborne survey data and analyzed thousands of images derived from LiDAR(Light Detection and Ranging) data.
Prelims GS – Science and Technology
- Light Detection And Ranging
- It is a remote sensing method
- Uses light in the form of a pulsed laser to measure an object’s variable distances from the surface of the earth.
- Illuminates the target body with a laser and measures the distance through the reflection with a sensor.
Mains GS3 – Science and Technology
Applications of LiDAR:
LiDAR is used in
- Oceanography- to measure the depth of the ocean surface to locate any objects in the oceans
- Agriculture- to analyze the seed dispersions, crop yield rate, planning of crop plantation
- Archaeology- to understand domestic and defensive architecture like moats and fortifications in the area and also any buried mounds.
- Geology- to analyze mining areas
- Construction of roads, buildings, and bridges as LiDAR will help in the easy creation of a terrain model using a 3D representation of the specified terrain.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.