Current affairs play a vital role in UPSC civil service exam preparation. The daily current affairs from the daily news’ are one of these important areas. This section gives you a very brief summary of the important topics to be covered. You may use this section for revising your preparation. Nevertheless, we recommend you visit our daily current affairs section that gives a comprehensive analysis of the topics needed to be studied for the UPSC civil service exam.
Kerela admits Girls in Sainik Schools
- Kerala welcomes the first batch comprising seven girls from Kerala, two from Bihar and one from Uttar Pradesh
- The Sainik Schools are a system of schools in India established and managed by the Sainik Schools Society under the Ministry of Defence (MoD).
Production-linked incentive Scheme
- The Central government launched a production-linked incentive (PLI) for the textile sector with a budgetary outlay of 10,683 crores.
- The scheme is for man-made fiber (MMF) apparel, MMF fabrics, and 10 segments/products of technical textiles.
Bal Swaraj Portal
- The National Commission for Protection of Child Rights has devised an online tracking portal “Bal Swaraj (COVID-Care)” for children in need of care and protection.
- This portal is aimed at tracking the children affected by COVID-19 right from the production of children before the Child Welfare Committee (CWC) to the restoration of the children to their parent, guardian, or relative and its subsequent follow-up.
Center enters Agreement with Niki Group
- The Central government entered into a one-year ceasefire agreement with the National Socialist Council of Nagaland (K) Niki Group.
- More than 200 cadres of the outfit, with 83 weapons, have joined the peace process.
1. Black-necked crane and Snow leopard
The UT of Ladakh has adopted a Black-necked crane as the State Bird and Snow leopard as the State Animal.
- Scientific name: Grus nigricollis
- Height : 135 cm
2. Ubreathe Life
IT Ropar’s startup company, Urban Air Laboratory, has developed a living-plant-based air purifier “Ubreathe Life” .
- Ubreathe Life” amplifies the air purification process in indoor spaces.
- The product is claimed to be the world’s first, state-of-the-art ‘Smart Bio-Filter’ that can make breathing fresh.
3. Exercise ZAPAD 2021
A 200 personnel contingent of the Indian Army will participate in Exercise ZAPAD 2021, a Multi Nation exercises being held at Nizhniy, Russia from 03 to 16 September 2021.
- ZAPAD 2021 is one of the theatre-level exercises of the Russian Armed Forces and will focus primarily on operations against terrorists.
- Over a dozen countries from the Eurasian and South Asian Regions will participate in this signature event.
1. UNSC Resolution
By terms of resolution 2593 (2021), adopted by a vote of 13 in favor with two abstentions (Russian Federation and China), the 15-member UNSC organ demanded that Afghan territory not be used to threaten or attack any country and reiterated the importance of combating terrorism in Afghanistan.
Courtesy: UNSC Press Release.
- UN Security Council has the responsibility of maintaining peace and security in the world.
- It is one of the 6 principal organs of the UN.
The 13th BRICS summit is going to be held on 9th September under the chairmanship of India.
- BRICS refers to Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa.
- It was the Russian side that initiated the creation of BRICS.
3. Fiscal Deficit
As per data released by the Controller General of Accounts on 31.8.2021, the Fiscal deficit of the Union Government stood at 21.3% of the budget estimates at the end of July.
- A fiscal deficit is a shortfall in a government’s income compared with its spending.
- Fiscal Deficit is the difference between the total income of the government (total taxes and non-debt capital receipts) and its total expenditure.
- A fiscal deficit occurs when the government’s expenditure exceeds the receipts.
4. Core Sector
The combined Index of Eight Core Industries stood at 134.0 in July 2021, which increased by 9.4 percent (provisional) as compared to the Index of July 2020.
Click here to view the Courtesy: PIB release.
Index of Eight Core Industries:
- Eight Core Industries comprises of the following industries:
- Crude Oil
- Natural Gas
- Refinery Products (Petroleum)